Monday, September 17, 2007

My Bookshelf

"I cannot live without books." -Thomas Jefferson to John Adams, 1815

Carolyn Foote reminded me that I hadn't yet responded to Ethan Bodnar's open invitation to share a photo of a personal bookshelf.

That meant that I had to first decide which bookshelf to photograph: the revolving end table housing old favorites like Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy; the small case holding historical mysteries that I just may read again; my collection of children's books; the basket holding my emergency stash of paperbacks (if I ever finish reading all my titles, will life as I know it cease!???).

I finally settled on one shelf in my little den, since it holds some books I haven't yet gotten to: mermaids and Jimmy Buffet in honor of Key West, some history to keep me honest, a few tech titles, a dash of kiddy lit, and "Stardust" (to compare with the movie - one of the few Gaiman stories I haven't read yet).

My house is still in an interesting state, my blogging is woefully behind (I apologize to Eric at Secondhand Thoughts and promise that he's next in the queue)...but I couldn't resist a literary exercise.

I love my computer, but oh, those books!

"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."
-Barbara Tuchman

No comments: