Thursday, January 17, 2008

Illusions

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -Albert Einstein

I had an interesting conversation with a second grade student (7 or 8 years old) yesterday. "Mrs. Cordell," he told me very seriously, "I've lost my illusions."

Intrigued, I grabbed a scrap of paper and a pen, and let myself be drawn into a conversation.

Me: What do you mean by "illusions".
Child: Sometimes I can make things happen. I made the lights in my house flicker, but my illusions weren't strong and they went away. I need more practice.

Me: How did you get your illusions?
Child: I didn't know I had any illusions, but when my cousin came from Nevada, he squeezed my shoulder and then I had illusions. He has illusions all the time.

Me: Tell me more about your illusions.
Child: When my cousin is here, we have battles on our bikes and we make each other fall off with our illusions. I know I'll have illusions back when he comes to visit again.

We finished our discussion and I and thanked him for sharing a bit of his world with me. I wonder what he's seen that moves just beyond my field of vision.



"It's life's illusions I recall
, I really don't know life at all." –Joni Mitchell, Both Sides Now


"17illusion" by Nobik Attila

No comments: