T.J. Shay has begun a new meme on his TJ on a Journey blog and invited me to contribute.
The task is to "List FIVE changes you would like to see in the educational system. Your responses should represent your perspective and your passion for learning and students."
Here are my contributions:
1. Give ALL stakeholders a real voice in decision-making, including students, teachers, and parents.
2. Be open to innovation in the classroom. Don't censure risk-takers: praise them.
3. Embrace new technologies. Educate staff and students in digital safety and responsible cyber citizenship.
4. If filters are in place, give teachers over-ride privileges. Let them decide on appropriate resources for the classroom.
5. Don't make the student handbook a litany of punishments. Emphasize the positive behaviors you're seeking. BUT when consequences are necessary, be sure they are immediate, appropriate, and consistently applied.
If any of my readers would like to contribute to this conversation, please add your voice.
“Change is the only constant. Hanging on is the only sin.” -Denise McCluggage
“In a time of drastic change it is the learners who inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists.” -Eric Hoffer
"Spherical School Bus" by fdecomite