Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Lessons Learned on a Winter Walk


There is a small park, not far from our home, where I love to wander with my camera.

In the summer, there are people strolling, eating lunch, reading, walking their dogs, fishing, and supervising children at play.

Today, I had the park to myself.

These are some of the thoughts I had, while enjoying a peaceful break from holiday preparations:



It's sometimes easier to strike out on a new path than to follow an old one.




Everything that passed this way has left a mark, although these signs can be difficult to interpret.



Still water freezes into static sheets; where there's a running stream, the ice dances on, and interacts with, the water.



With so much of the color gone from the landscape, it is easier to find beauty in unexpected places.




Each season carries within it the seed of the next.



"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." -John Muir



See other photos at Winter Walk at Hovey Pond Park

8 comments:

susanvg said...

Some lovely photos and lovely thoughts.

Karin said...

I love the thoughts & photos you shared! I know the 365 project has helped me to see beauty around me that I never saw before. It sounds like it has done that for you as well.

Paul C said...

This is a wonderful post with artistry and depth. 'A walk in the snow' has resulted in a lot of clear headed thinking for many. A former prime minister made crucial decisions that way.

A Keeper's Jackpot said...

Nice shots and interesting thoughts. I give you credit, it felt really COLD today. You'll have to get some snowshoes and wander with Ellen and I

Debbie said...

Beautiful, Diane. As always. Just breathtaking!

M Coleman said...

I echo others' comments - what a wonderful way to celebrate winter solstice!

@GwynethJones - The Daring Librarian said...

Oh i am just BREATHLESS with the beauty if this post!!!!! and the Lace picture just staggers me!
Oh Diane...your eye...is amazing!!!! [hugs] thank you for this!
~gwyneth

diane said...

Thank you, everyone!

Participating in a few of the 365 photo challenge groups helped me to sharpen my eye. I received a new camera for Christmas, so expect more, and hopefully, better, pictures in 2010.