Thursday, December 31, 2009

Looking Back, Looking Forward

"New Year's eve is like every other night; there is no pause in the march of the universe, no breathless moment of silence among created things that the passage of another twelve months may be noted; and yet no man has quite the same thoughts this evening that come with the coming of darkness on other nights." -Hamilton Wright Mabie


During the past decade, we've had two college graduations (four, if you count our children's spouses), two weddings, two retirements, and a 35th anniversary. One very sad note was losing my dad to cancer. But he's still with us in so many ways.

In my professional life, I
  • transitioned from full-time employment to semi-retirement (I miss the students and my colleagues, but oh, the joy of a self-scripted schedule!)
  • went to my first NECC (San Antonio), AASL conference (Charlotte), and EduCon (Philadelphia)
  • began blogging, tweeting, plurking, and interacting on Facebook (as @dmcordell)
  • took my first online workshop and began a wonderful relationship with the CyberSmart! Education Company
  • met some of my PLN in Real Life (the connections were immediate and immensely satisfying)
  • discovered a new hobby/passion in photography

I have high expectations for 2010 and wish all of you a very Happy New Year!


Looking Back, Looking Forward created on Animoto





"cinderella" by twenty_questions

4 comments:

Paul C said...

Interesting overview of the decade and a perfect time to use Animoto. It's wonderful that you can still enjoy professional development.

diane said...

Thank you, Paul. Now that I have more time at my disposal, I'm trying to fill in the gaps in my technical knowledge and share what I've learned, and continue to learn, about being a teacher/librarian.

the unquiet librarian said...

Meeting you in person was one of THE highlights of my year...my life for that matter. Thank you for making AASL so very special for me, and I'm looking forward to our adventures together in 2009!

With love,
Buffy

diane said...

Ah, Buffy,

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

Your friendship is one of the best gifts I received in 2009. Have a wonderful New Year!