Saturday, July 7, 2007

A Fine Wind is Blowing

Not I, not I, but the wind that blows through me! A fine wind is blowing the new direction of Time.
-D.H. Lawrence, "Song of a Man Who Has Come Through"

Searching, saving, reading, pondering - now it's time to begin constructing a new curriculum.

The Horizon Project 2007, a collaborative global project based on Friedman's "The World is Flat", seems like a natural starting point. I can use its resources to introduce the techtools - wikis in particular - that I hope to use in my Current Events class, and the Student Resources sidebar includes rubrics, a code of ethics, and a variety of "important" links. There are many other valuable sites saved in my del.ici.ous account, now (I hope) specifically labeled for quick retrieval and incorporation into lesson plans.

If I get approval for student e-mail accounts, I'll have to send parent letters and AUP forms next month. I'd like as many applications as possible to be up and running on the first day of class. Another "to do" is setting up a wiki for the students and checking in periodically on the RSS demo I started (probably has hundreds of unread postings by now!).

Note to self: never forget that the tools are meant to support the content, not vice versa.

The winds of change are in motion: "The trees may wish for quiet, but the wind will not subside." (Chinese proverb)

No comments: