Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Traveling Shoes



As my daughter has pointed out to me, in the original Oz stories, Dorothy was transported home by silver shoes, not ruby ones.

On Friday, I'll once again sally forth, this time traveling by train to Washington, DC for the ALA 2010 Annual Conference.

I'm looking forward to renewing old friendships and establishing new ones. There will be time for learning on many levels, opportunities to explore, photos just begging to be taken.

The last time I was in our nation's capital, I was part of a massive act of social protest. With libraries and librarians under siege, there is a strong element of activism present now also.

My distrust of large organizations runs deep, but I have joined ALA and will try to keep an open mind about the positive benefits of membership in a professional group.

And if it all becomes too much, I can click my silver sneakers and head for home.






“Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.”Miriam Beard


“No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.”Lin Yutang




"Dorothy Gale with silver shoes" from Wikimedia Commons
"Silver Sneakers" by dmcordell

No comments: