Friday, June 29, 2007

Battle Lines Being Drawn

" There's battle lines being drawn, nobody's right if everybody's wrong"
Buffalo Springfield,
For What It's Worth (1967)

The latest round has been fired in the tech wars, with the publication of Andrew Keen's THE CULT OF THE AMATEUR:How Today’s Internet Is Killing Our Culture.

The New York Times characterizes this book as "
a shrewdly argued jeremiad against the digerati effort to dethrone cultural and political gatekeepers and replace experts with the 'wisdom of the crowd.'”

I don't consider myself one of the "digerati", but “noble amateur” has a nice ring to it. I am very aware of copyright issues and do not consider this blog to be a serious threat to literature and literacy.

No, Mr. Keene, I do not believe that I belong to a culture guilty of "cannibalizing its young, destroying the very sources of the content they crave.” I'm a nurturer, not an agent of intellectual deprivation!





No comments: